In a highly competitive retail market place Brandspeak's retail research toolkit enable you to identify the consumer's System 1 and System 2 decision-making criteria that will ensure it is your brand that is selected ahead of the competition.

The types of retail research tools that Brandspeak can employ to optimise your retail environment can vary depending upon the types of goods you are selling. With low cost, Fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) consumers typically use system 1, intuitive decision making to make purchasing decisions. Whereas, with high cost, low volume, consumer durables there is always a more rational, system 2 type, evaluation also involved.

FMCG Retail Research

When it comes to everyday, lower value FMCG goods, 60% of consumers who intend to make a purchase won’t have decided which brand to buy by the time they arrive in the aisle or at the relevant fixture.

In such instances it is important for the brand owner and the retailer to not only understand the basis on which the 40% have already made their brand selection, but also the process by which the remaining 60% will decide which brand to buy.

The above illustrates the importance of employing research techniques capable of understanding how consumers employ intuitive, System 1 thinking to make purchase decisions when instore.

That is why use tools such as eye-tracking to help us understand the role of System 1 decision-making and how it is affected by issues such as:

Location in-store

Shelf layout

Packaging

Promotion

Signage / Information

Consumer Durables retail research

With more expensive, one-off purchases (e.g. cars or TVs), consumers will typically combine System 1 decision-making with more and more rational, considered, System 2 evaluation.

To understand the impact of both System 1 and System 2 thinking on the decision-making process Brandspeak uses a range of qualitative, quantitative, ethnographic and neuromarketing research approaches.

Types of retail research project we do

Brandspeak’s expertise in retail market research includes:

Retail brand proposition and positioning definition

Proposed retail layout assessment and refinement

Retail customer journey mapping

POS / merchandising assessment and optimisation

Retail purchase driver and barrier analysis

Retail shopper experience optimisation

Retail customer support / fulfilment analysis

Our team has worked with retail in a whole host of industry sectors, including:

  • Automotive
  • Financial services
  • DIY
  • Telco
  • FMCG
  • Travel
  • Petrol / Roadside

For more information about retail market research please get in touch or call: +44 (0) 203 858 0052

Research ToolKit

Maximise your brand's performance

Our research toolkit is comprehensive! It contains all the latest tools and techniques, as well as lots of old favourites. Whatever your project, we have the research solutions to provide the answers you need.
Retail Market Research Brand Speak Market Research

Qualitative

Retail Market Research Brand Speak Market Research

Quantitative

Retail Market Research Brand Speak Market Research

Ethnography

Retail Market Research Brand Speak Market Research

Neuromarketing